Sunday, August 16, 2015

Plaquenil Update:

{ photo taken before starting Plaquenil } 
The reason I started this blog is because after doing hours of research, I could not find any resources from actual lupus patients about their personal experiences with rashes, medications and natural remedies. So I made my own in hopes to help others out there and give them peace of mind in times of flares. I'm willing to share unflattering photos of myself with my rash to show my progress. So here we go... After a month of a discoid flare, I tried prednisone but that seemed to make things worse by the day. First starting as a small red patch on my chest to full blown red raised hives spreading all over my body. The prednisone not only made me starving thus causing me to gain ten pounds, it also made me completely depressed and extremely anxious. So, after weening off steroids, I started Plaquenil (anti malaria meds) on August 5th along with vistaril to reduce itching. After 11 days on this new medicine, I can really notice much improvement in my rash! It is more brown, not bright red. It has completely disappeared from my neck and face and although it is still all over my legs, my hands and arms are improving everyday! So far this medication gets two thumbs up from me as I have not experienced any side effects as of yet. I'm still on my daily turmeric powder as well as magnesium pills and lotion. I've slowly discontinued my steroid ointment and replaced it with soothing oatmeal lotion which seems to be working as well. Hope this review helps and I'll keep updating my progress. Stay strong Spoonies!!!!!
Before & Now:

No comments:

Post a Comment